I do not have the time or money to host sexy cocktail parties.
I will, however, tell you how you can make your (presumably mediocre) sexy cocktail parties better.
While other cocktail party hosts are googling “simple syrup” or jamming sprigs of lavender into vodka bottles, you can make your party the most memorable of them all with this one easy concept:
Upsetting inedible garnishes.
Limes can suck it. There are myriad random objects that can be used as garnishes. They will confuse and alarm your guests. They will have lasting, vivid memories of your party that will surface later in some therapy session.
Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Dismembered doll bits: this idea is cost-effective, because one doll can go a long way. Also, no one ever forgets finding a Barbie leg in his or her Tequila Sunrise.
- Unpaid traffic tickets folded into various origami creatures. This one has layers, man.
- I don’t recommend putting anything in the actual drink unless you have guests sign some sort of waiver first. But if you must, I think plastic aquarium plants or old house keys would be fun.
- A fishing float: if your guest nervously asks if there is any additional tackle in the drink, dart your eyes back and forth and walk away without answering.
- Cicada exoskeletons.
- Tape an inflated balloon to the rim of the glass. At first it seems festive; but it makes the cocktail impossible to drink with any dignity.
- Old hotel key cards: use a box cutter to make two parallel cuts about two inches long so that the key card will sort of clip to the rim of the cocktail glass. Give the person you serve this drink to a long, sultry look and whisper a random room number. Hopefully the recipient will make it all the way to the hotel like an idiot before he or she realizes how odd it is that you got a hotel room when the party was at your house.
- False eyelashes. I couldn’t even type that without gagging.
- Ominous Tarot cards.
- *Somehow* affix the string and tag from a tea bag to the rim of the cocktail glass, giving the impression that perhaps Bloody Mary and Earl Grey are getting frisky in there.
If you decide to actually try any of these ridiculous concepts out there in what we perceive to be reality, I hope that a) no one presses charges, and b) you have the good sense to tell us all about it in the comments.